Our Review of
EPA's Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon
This page is part of our series of reviews of the Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon a publication by the Environmental Protection Agency. By getting Radon detection and Radon mitigation, you can live more healthfully amidst the beauty of Lake Tahoe.
Radon Testing Checklist
Here's the EPA's checklist in a nutshell:
- Before conducting a Radon rest, notify the occupants of the importance of proper testing conditions. Written instructions are recommended.
- Conduct the Radon test for a minimum of 48 hours. Some test devices may require more time.
- When doing a short-term test ranging from 2-4 days, it is important to maintain closed-house conditions for at least 12 hours before beginning and during the test. This means keeping all windows closed, doors closed except for normal entry and exit, and not operating fans or other machines which bring in air from outside.
- If DIY, use a qualified Radon measurement device and follow all of the instructions that came with the test kit.
- If you hire someone to test, hire only a qualified individual. California and Nevada require licensing and certification, so check it.
- Any Radon-reduction system should be kept operating during the test.
- Tests that have built-in checks for interference are a good idea.
- Keep any heating and air conditioning systems operating as usual.
This series is provided to inform about Radon at Lake Tahoe and beyond. On each page, you can view more by clicking on one of the navigation links below.
Find out if you have Radon...
Airthings gets our glowing review for its line of air quality detectors. In particular, we have used the Airthings Corentium Radon Detector, and like it! We purchased our Airthings Corentium over seven years ago, and it has been reliable and accurate for detecting Radon levels in our home and office. It's definitely recommended for monitoring Radon. Plus, if you ever need to install any Radon mitigation devices, this constant monitoring device can help you to know how well your system is working, in order to keep your home Radon levels down. Check it out on Amazon, where you can read other reviews and get your best price.